COMMUNITY WOOD STOVES 09-03-2017
The community wood stove is the only choice for institutional cooking equipment, which offers some vital improvement and benefits such as:
1. Reduction of indoor pollution.
2. Avoidance of health risks for food consumers.
1. Reduction of firewood consumption by decreasing pressure on deforestations.
1. Reduction in fuel and labour costs.
2. Cost effective investment, which is recovered by savings within a year.
PARABOLIC SOLAR COOKER09-03-2017
Solar energy is a potential source of power used to generate both heat and electricity. Solar energy can be used for various applications such as cooking, water heating, crop drying and providing electricity for lighting and powering appliances.
Cooking by solar energy has attracted several groups of research workers in the world since successful solar cookers were reported in the 18th and 19th centuries. Attempts to develop different types of solar cookers were made even when fuel was cheap and abundantly available.
One of the major energy demands in all societies is that for cooking. There is wide variety of cooking techniques, varying from location to location and depending on availability of cooking fuels. Cooking with solar cookers is one of the early uses of solar energy. Although a variety of solar cookers have been developed, but they haven’t been widely used mainly due to technical and/or socio-economic aspects.
Today, mankind is living at a time when there is a greater awareness of the energy crisis facing the world than at any other time in history.
With increasing world population and high energy demands, the growth in energy consumption which has been experienced for many years cannot continue indefinitely for there is a limit to fossil fuel resources.
It is also obvious that the energy consumption patterns in the world are not evenly distributed. There are greater energy problems in developing countries than in the developed countries today. For developing countries, cooking energy in rural areas constitutes a major fraction of energy consumption of which is inadequate. In these areas energy demand (which is largely met with firewood, cow dung, charcoal and agricultural residues) is diminishing. The current growing scarcity of these bio-fuels and related environmental crisis are the major motivating factors for the use of solar cookers.
The use of solar energy seems to be the most attractive alternative energy source for the future. It is also exciting and challenging to realize that all people living on earth can share in this inexhaustible energy source.
The use of Solar Cookers could offer the following advantages:
1. Decreased firewood and fossil fuel consumption. It contributes to environmental conservation.
2. Solar cookers could reduce the use of agricultural residues and cow dung as cooking fuels, instead, they could then be
used as manure.
3. Solar energy is non-pollutant. It does not release carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, hence, it does not contribute to
4. Healthy cooking environment as compared to when biomass and fossil fuel are used as source of energy for cooking,
where, indoor air pollution affects the health of people.
5. Solar cookers could reduce time and hardships involved in gathering of firewood.
6. Solar cookers could contribute to job creation and business opportunities especially among small and medium
enterprises in the renewable energy sector.
SOLAR WATER HEATER09-03-2017
Solar water heater is a decentralized technology option for water heating using solar collectors.
Flat-plate solar collectors are the most commonly used option as effective means of collecting solar energy for applications that require heat in the temperature range from ambient to 80°C.
The flat-plate collector is basically a heat exchanger which transfers the radiant energy of the incident sunlight to the sensible heat of a working fluid – water or air.
Flat-plate solar collectors have been used successfully for domestic and industrial water heating as well as space heating.
The thermo-siphon solar water heating system:
A Thermo siphon system is a solar domestic water heating system in which the solar loop is
driven solely by the automatic rising of the heated water from the collector into the hot water tank installed above it.
In this system, a second storage tank containing cold water is also installed above the hot water tank. The cold water storage tank contains a break pressure valve. When the user taps hot water, gravitational force causes water to flow down and refills the space left by hot water automatically.
The growing scarcity of bio-fuels, environmental problems, high costs of fuels such as charcoal, fuel wood, kerosene, electricity and treatment of waterborne diseases are the major motivating factors for the use of solar water heaters.
However, the use of Solar Water Heaters has also the following advantages:
1. Reduction of indoor pollution.
2. Reduction of direct monetary costs related to poor water heating.
1. Reduction of indoor pollution.
2. Reduction in the use of fossil fuels and electricity.
3. Reduction of fuel wood and agricultural residues consumption.
4. Decreased deforestation rate.
1. Reduced labour.
2. Reduced financial costs.
3. Contribution to poverty alleviation through job creation and business opportunities among SMEs in the renewable
TOMATO SEED EXTRACTOR MACHINE09-03-2017
This machine is petrol engine driven. It was innovated and designed to reduce cost and make it easy the extraction and cleaning process of tomato seeds.
How this machine operates:
1. It extracts 170 tins per hour.
2. It uses 1 litre of petrol per hour.
3. It separates the shells from the seeds.
4. At a cost of 10,000 TShs. only, two people can use the machine to extract tomato seeds per day.
5. Out of 1000 tins of tomatoes, it can produce 20 to 30 tins of tomato seeds.
1. It saves 130,000 TShs. compared to the cots of extracting tomato seeds using local means.
2. It makes easy the seeds cleaning process compared to cleaning the tomato seeds which were locally extracted.
3. The cleaning cost is reduced by 55,000 TShs. compared to the cost of cleaning the tomato seeds which were locally extracted.
4. It reduces working hours.
5. Only 2 people can operate the machine.
6. The machine can easily be reallocated.
7. Few vessels can be used on the extraction process.
OIL PRESS MACHINE09-03-2017
Oil press machine is man powered machine which was innovated and designed by CAMARTEC in the year 1990.
It is used to press different types of seeds in order to produce oil out of them.
These nachines are of two different sizes with identification number BP30 (which has small capacity) and BP50 (which has bigger capacity).
Brief about the machine:
1. The pressing is done by uplifting and pressing of the machine's handle.
2. The oil pressing process should be continous when starting operating the machine until you finish pressing the seeds
you put inside the jar's of the machine.
3. In avearge of 4 to 5 hours concecutively counting, one man can operate the machine.
4. Only one day can take a person to be fully trained on how to operate the machine.
5. Depending on customer's wish, this machine can be fixed such that it can either be reallocated or not reallocated.
6. Due to the design of the machine, if any fault happens, it can be repaired by local fundis.
1. Before using this machine, make sure you pour oil all parts which are frictional.
2. Re-tight all bolts and nuts ones per week.
3. Clean the machine twice per week by pouring hot water in the area where seeds are pressed.
4. Brush the presser part (piston) and remove all the chaff inside the pressing room.
5. Everytime after finish using the machine, press the chaff to soften the piston and other parts inside the pressing room.
1. Pour oil in the vessel and leave them for 4 to 5 days without being disturbed until all wastes is settled beneath the vessel.
Collect another clean vessel and carefully pour the top layer of the cleaned oil.
2. In order to quickly filter the oil, mix the oil with water and salt in the ration of 1 litre of oil, 3/4 litre of water and 1 spoon of
salt. Boil that mixture for ten minutes then put it aside to settle and cool the mixture. Clean oil will be on top layer while
water and all dirts will settle beneath the vessel. Collect another clean vessel and carefully pour the top layer of the
3. Use a special paper (filter), or a piece of cloth which can allow only oil to pass through and hold back the wastes (dirts).
The hanged backet with full of oil is connected with the cloth made pocket using a tube that oil goes through it. It takes
24 hours for all oil inside the cloth pocket or filter to be completely filted